Earlier this year things were looking great for the original “Roseanne” cast. They had a new show based on the original and wildly popular “Roseanne” series that aired for ten seasons during the 80’s and 90’s.
The remake was doing really well until the namesake, Roseanne Barr, made a racist tweet on Twitter that ultimately caused the show to become canceled.
ABC later announced that they would move forward with creating a spinoff of the series, called “The Conners”. A lot of speculation has been going around about how they would handle not having the main character of the show present, but John Goodman has finally cleared the air.
Over the weekend, Goodman was profiled in the U.K.’s Times and was quoted as saying that his character will be “mopey and sad because his wife’s dead” which clearly suggests that the matriarch of the show will be killed off.
This seems to have the blessing from Roseanne Barr, considering that she had to sign over all rights of the original show, ending her association with it in order for the new show to get the green light.
Goodman Stays True
Goodman said that “I sent her an email and thanked her for that. I did not hear anything back, but she was going through hell at the time. And she’s still going through hell.” He says that he hasn’t had any other contact with her since the “Roseanne” show ended.
Throughout the entire cancelation fiasco, Goodman always stayed true to his past work colleague. After the Roseanne remake was originally axed, he said “I know for a fact that she’s not a racist.” He also stated that he was “surprised” and “brokenhearted”, and refused to comment further saying “That’s probably all I should say about it.”
“The Conners” spinoff is slated to premiere this fall on October 16th at 8 EDT/PDT, on the same Tuesday that the second season of Roseanne was supposed to to air.